Serving Family Law Clients in San Bernardino
Get In Touch Today 909.315.4588

Enforcing Court Orders: Standing up for Your Rights and the Well-being of Your Children

Going through a divorce or custody battle can be grueling, no matter who you are. Court orders are put in place to ease the pain and confusion of a difficult time, but unfortunately, they're not always followed. If your ex-spouse refuses to follow court orders, it can seem like an insurmountable obstacle, but it's important to stand up for your rights and the well-being of your children.

1. Understanding Your Court Order

Before trying to enforce a court order, you should clearly understand what it entails. Look over the order and note any requirements or deadlines your ex-spouse fails to meet. This will help you decide what course of action to take and provide a better starting point for your legal counsel.

2. Sending a Letter

One of the first steps you can take is sending a letter to your ex, detailing what actions they need to take and by when. This letter should not be threatening or angry but rather a professional statement of your rights and the order terms. If this is unfruitful, the next step would be to turn to a legal professional to file a motion for contempt.

3. Filing a Motion for Contempt

If sending a letter doesn't work, it's time to escalate things by going to court. Your lawyer can file a motion for contempt against your ex-spouse. This motion will include details on what actions your ex-spouse failed to take and how they violated the court order. The judge will then review the motion and set a hearing date. Your ex-spouse could face fines, penalties, and even jail time if found guilty.

4. Mediation

Mediation is an alternative to going to court. A mediator, who is a neutral third party, will assist both parties in coming to a resolution. This can save time and money versus going to court. However, if you have already attempted mediation and it did not work, going straight to filing a motion for contempt or getting back into court may be necessary.

San Bernardino Divorce Attorney

Dealing with a non-compliant ex-spouse can be incredibly challenging during a divorce or custody battle. However, it's crucial to stand up for your rights and the well-being of your children. The Law Office of Michael R. Young is here to support you through this difficult process. Whether it's understanding your court order, sending a letter, filing a motion for contempt, or exploring mediation, we have the expertise to guide you toward a resolution. Don't let non-compliance go unchecked - contact us today at (909) 315-4588 to protect your rights and ensure the court orders are enforced effectively.