Serving Family Law Clients in San Bernardino
Get In Touch Today 909.315.4588

Can I Move Homes With My Child?

Relocation can be an emotionally difficult decision for parents who share custody of their children - not only must they adjust to a new lifestyle, but they are also faced with the responsibility of navigating court-approved relocation laws. Whether you're considering relocating due to employment opportunities or personal reasons, knowing what path you should take can be challenging.

What is Court-Approved Relocation and When Is It Necessary

Court-approved relocation is an essential factor to consider when a family's living arrangements need to change, and it creates a hardship for the other parent to continue following the custody order. This is typically considered a move of at least 50 miles; however, it can be a shorter distance if one or both parents do not have private transportation or have other circumstances that would limit their child’s time-sharing agreement.

When is Court-Approved Relocation Necessary?

It is necessary when a parent or guardian needs to move, meaning the child will relocate with them. Parents must obtain court approval for relocation to ensure everyone's best interests are protected. Doing so involves specific paperwork and notifications that should be undertaken before making any permanent changes in residence.

Preparing for Court-Approved Relocation

Relocating can be difficult, often requiring court-approved relocation in certain circumstances. It is vital to prepare for this process correctly as it can be complex and require lots of paperwork. Understanding the process and what may be needed before going to court will make it easier for everyone involved.

It is possible to relocate without needing full court approval. An attorney or family counselor can help craft a mutually beneficial agreement for you and your child's other parent.

Whichever approach you take, communicating openly with your child about what to expect from relocation will help them make sense of the changes in their life and ensure a smoother transition.

Establishing a Custody Agreement for Court-Approved Relocation

Going through a court-approved relocation with your child can be an incredibly difficult transition time, filled with questions and uncertainty. Establishing an official custody agreement is key to ensuring that your child's best interests are upheld, no matter how far away you are.

First, it's important to understand the legal requirements of court-approved relocation. Doing so will help you determine what steps must be taken to secure your child's custodial rights, even at a distance. With the right information and support, you can ensure a smooth transition for both yourself and your child during this often difficult time.

How To Support Your Child During Transition

Relocating to a new home can be difficult for a child, especially if it happens suddenly and unexpectedly. Handling the transition process with care is essential for ensuring your child is comfortable, secure, and equipped with the necessary tools to make the big move.

Court-approved relocation must be sought when needed, and activities promoting ease should be encouraged. This can include activities like spending time in outdoor locations familiar to them and talking about their feelings as often as possible.

Furthermore, providing them with contact information for therapists or other mental health professionals is a great way to show that you're taking additional steps to ensure their well-being during times of transition.

Giving You The Upper-Hand During This Difficult Time

Navigating the court-approved relocation process can be challenging, but with the correct information and support, it doesn't have to be. By understanding what is required of you legally, establishing an official custody agreement for your child's best interests, providing activities that promote feelings of ease during transition periods, and having contact information for mental health professionals on hand if needed - you will give yourself the upper-hand in this often trying time.

Are you considering moving with your child? Call our firm today at (909) 315-4588 to schedule a consultation with a team member and learn more about how we can help you seek court approval for your relocation.